I faced the similar problem when my WD Elements was not detected by Windows 7/8 . I followed below steps to get it back:
- Go to control panel.
- Click on Administrative Tools
- Double click on Computer Management
- Click on “Disk Management” under “Storage Section”
- Search out Disk section for your External Hard Drive
- Right click on Disk 1 and click on “Properties” and under Driver tab, Click on Uninstall
- After Uninstalling the driver. Remove the External Hard drive from USB port and connect again
- Woila! It started working again!! Now the WD Elements is detected again
- You may/may not get “Scan/Fix recommendation” pop up after inserting the USB again. Do it!
PS: If you it is still not working for you after this Fix, Do let me know. We will try another fix 🙂